For those of you who want to get a snapshot of the timelines involved with CMS, I have added what has been published by them. Feel free to update me if I have missed anything:
- The Fall of 2010, Certified EHR technology became available and listed on the Office of the National Coordinator (ONC) site.
- January of 2011, registration for the EHR incentive program began. Additionally, for Medicaid providers, States could launch their programs if they chose to.
- In April of 2011, attestation for the Medicare EHR Incentive Program began.
- In May of 2011, EHR incentive payments began.
- In the fall of 2011 (November 30th to be precise), it is the last day for eligible hospitals and Critical Access Hospitals (what are these?…coming soon) to register and attest to receive an incentive payment for FFY 2011.
- During the early part of the year, winter of 2012 (Feb. 29th), it is the last day for Eligible Professionals (EPs) to register and attest to receive an incentive payment for CY 2011.
- 2014 is the last year to initiate participation in the Medicare EHR/EMR Incentive Program. DONT MISS THIS DATE.
- In 2015, Medicare payment adjustments begin for elegible physicians and hospitals that are not meaningful users of EHR/EMR technology.
- 2016 is another BIG year. It is the last year to receive a MEDICARE EHR incentive payment and also the last year to initiate participation in MEDICAID EHR Incentive Program.
- 2021 is the last year to receive the MEDICAID EHR INCENTIVE PAYMENT.
Hopefully this timeline will help in understanding what healthcare provider organizations and professionals face over the next few years. Saddle up!